Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Writing After the Holiday Cheer

I’ve noticed there are lots of articles in writer’s magazines and on blogs about getting back to writing now that the holiday season is winding down.

Yes, Virginia, it is a busy time, but a break can improve your writing. It’s hard to be creative all the time, and a change of routine is not only good for the mind and soul, it’s good for your creativity.

What I find works for me is to work on two or three projects at the same time. I’m not saying this is for everyone, but it works well for me. I’m currently working on 3 novels right now. One is complete and two are in the beginning chapters. I’ll work on one for awhile, then put it aside and pick up the next one. What I find is that when I go back to one of the novels after a week or two, I have a whole new outlook on it and I usually improve the writing or the characters or the plot.

I try to write something every night - have to make a living during the day. And I usually write for a few hours in the morning on weekends unless a flash of creativity strikes and then I’ll spend more time writing.

I carry a small notebook around all the time to write down ideas or I use a voice recorder when I can’t use the notebook. I also keep a notebook and pen on my nightstand for those rare dreams or epiphanies that come in the middle of the night.

I find my creativity is more abundant and the writing flows better when I can take breaks and think about my writing rather than thinking about how much I should write.

Happy writing!

No comments: